YES! More than 100,000 BTEC students apply to UK universities each year.
There are two pathways from which BTECs can help students progress to university degrees:
- BTEC level 3 – equivalent of studying A-levels and provides access to a degree programme in the first year.
- BTEC level 4 HNC and level 5 HND – can provide access to degree programmes in the second or even the final year of a course.
Points to note:
- BTEC students who achieve good grades are just as sought after as A level students with good results.
- BTEC students have experience of real-life practical tasks and work placements which provides an advantage. These work placements enhance UCAS applications to many higher level courses; practical experience stands for a lot.
- If you know what degree you would like to do to reach your chosen career, why not check out the entry requirements on the university websites for the course(s) you are interested in. At Stanmore College we have careers staff who would be happy to help you if you need it, even if you are not yet a Stanmore College student!
- Entry criteria can vary from university to university so it is a good idea to check if you are unclear.
- If you have studied a BTEC in one subject area you can still apply for a different subject at university e.g. studying a BTEC in Science could lead to a degree in chemistry, biochemistry, nursing, psychology, social work, food science or zoology to name but a few examples.
Did you know:
- 95% of universities and colleges in the UK accept BTEC students. This includes many competitive universities from the Russell Group (a group of universities with a shared focus on reputation, academic achievement and research).
A member of our careers’ team or our subject specialist teachers would be happy to discuss your plans further if you feel it will help you. This can be arranged by either emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or telephoning us on 020 8420 7700 and leaving your details, name/number/BTEC of interest to you (if you know what you’d like to do) for a call back or, even better, simply Apply Online at www.stanmore.ac.uk and you will be invited to an interview evening where staff will be available to speak with you face to face and answer any questions you may have. The decision you make about where you study will still be up to you so don’t worry about feeling pressurised!