|Qualification||Level 3 Access to HE Diploma in Social Work|
Of the 20 units referred to above, 5 are Study Skills units, whilst the remaining 15 are a combination of practical and theoretical requirements in the field of counselling. The specific units of study are as follows:
- Reading and comprehension of texts
- The role of the health or social care professional
- Families in society
- Essay writing
- Report writing
- Speaking and listening skills
- Writing and delivering seminar papers
- Introduction to social work
- Health and wellbeing
- Ethical dilemmas
- Values, discrimination and difference within social care
- Equality, diversity and anti-discriminatory practice
- Introduction to working with communities
- Collating and communicating information in a health and social care setting
- The british law in health and social care
- Safeguarding and children’s welfare
- Youth justice
- Contemporary social policy in health and social care
- Introduction to psychology
- Mental health and illness
The aims are:
- To provide HE progression opportunities for adults who, because of social, educational or individual circumstances, do not have the necessary qualifications;
- To give students a general introduction to the basic concepts, methods, and key areas of knowledge within the core disciplines taken and offer a coherent and stimulating framework within which they can broaden their intellectual outlook and make connections between subject areas;
- To help students to develop and consolidate the various skills required to enable them to cope successfully with the demands of undergraduate study and to become independent, self-directed learners;
- To establish a positive and supportive learning environment within which students can build their confidence through successful learning and the sharing of their experience;
- To provide the personal and educational support needed if students are to pursue their aims within the framework of the course.
Students primarily progress to Higher Education study in areas related to Social Work. These may include some of the following areas of Degree level study: Counselling, Psychology and Counselling, Social Work, Youth and Community Work and a wide range of combined and related degrees.
There is an expectation that students will have literacy, communication skills and numeracy at Level 2 or above (i.e. students should have achieved both English and Maths at grade 4 or above).
The Access to HE Diploma assessment mechanism incorporates:
- Assessment tasks which are designed and set by the Centre
- Internal assessment of student work
- Internal and external moderation of assessment.
There are no additional external assessments for this Diploma.
The recommended assessment methods for this Diploma should include a variety of methods which take into consideration the target students for this Diploma and the appropriateness for the units being assessed. Assessment methods should be valid, reliable, and inclusive and assure equity.
The following assessment methods could be used to assess the units within this Diploma. Please note, it is expected that at least part of one unit is assessed by formal examination taken under timed conditions.
- Oral presentation
- Practical tasks/demonstrations
- Question and answer (written and oral)
- Tests/exams with seen or unseen papers
- Tutor observation
- Written assignments/essays/reports
- Discussion/ group work
- Student evaluation
There are no specific resource requirements for this qualification.
For ages 16-18
Level 1 introduction to the Beauty sector
Level 2 Intermediate Certificate Understanding Enterprise and Entrepreneurship
Level 1 Certificate in Skills for Professions in Applied Science and Tech
Level 2 Certificate in Skills for Professions in Applied Science and Tech
Level 3 Access to HE Computing
Level 3 Access to HE Creative & Digital Media
Level 3 Access to HE Diploma Business Studies
Level 3 Access to HE Diploma in Counselling
Level 3 Access to HE Engineering
Level 3 Access to HE Health & Social Care
Level 3 Access to HE Health and Human Science
Level 3 Access to HE Nursing
Level 3 Access to HE Paramedic Science
Level 3 Access to HE Pharmacy
Level 3 Access to HE Radiography
Level 3 Access to HE Science
Level 3 Access to HE Teacher Training