HND Sports Management and Coaching at Stanmore College
Sport is an increasingly large part of people’s lives, whether it's for health, fitness, participation, excellence or just for enjoyment.
This HND Sports Management and Coaching course gives you the knowledge and skill that you need to start a successful career where sport is delivered and managed in the community.
You'll learn about the evolution of sports development and cover topics such as sports coaching, marketing, sport and society, event management and small business enterprise. You'll get to apply your skills on a work placement and by running events and coaching sessions in the community.
By the end of the course, you'll have skills, knowledge and experience that will help you flourish in the global sports community and business environment. You'll also be able to top up your HND to a Bachelor's degree.
For more information on the HND Sports Management and Coaching click here to access the related page on the University of Portsmouth's website. The course would be delivered right here at Stanmore College.
On this course, you'll:
- Get an insight into how to use sport to develop community opportunities and enhance people’s lives
- Develop your expertise in delivering high-quality coaching within a community setting
- Learn the skills and knowledge you need to excel in the sports management and development industry
- Develop your business and marketing skills and learn how to use them in the sports industry
- Have opportunities to apply what you learn in the community, for example, by running coaching sessions and events
- Access the latest learning resources, journals and publications
- Be taught by staff who have industry experience
- Get experience of working in the sports industry on a work placement
Proceed to a full degree by doing a 'top up' at the University of Portsmouth or elsewhere.
The topics you’ll study on this course are varied, so you’ll have plenty of options open to you when you finish the course. You could start a career in areas such as sports coaching, sports development, teaching, event management. You’ll also have transferable business skills you can apply in any type of industry.
If you want to continue your studies, you can top up your HND to a Bachelor’s degree by joining the final year of the BSc (Hons) Sports Management and Development course.
The following occupations may interest students and graduates:
Sports Therapist, Strength and Conditioning Coach, Teacher, Higher Education Lecturer, Sports Coach, Sports Development Officer, Sport and Exercise Psychologist, Fitness/Leisure Centre Manager, Nutritional Therapist, Outdoor Pursuits Manager, Instructors, Sports Professional, Sports Official, Health Trainer, Personal Trainer, Sport and Exercise Scientist, Physiotherapist or Sports Journalist.
Please note that some of these careers may require further study.
Qualifications or experience 64 points from A levels, BTEC or equivalent.
GCSE subjects and grades required 3 GCSEs at grade C or above to include English and Mathematics / 3 GCSEs at grade 4 or above to include English and Mathematics.
English language requirements English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.0 with no component score below 5.5.
The way you’re assessed on this course reflects the requirements of the professional sports industry. You’ll be assessed through:
- projects, portfolios and case studies
- practical demonstrations
- oral assessments through presentations or discussion groups
You’ll be able to test your skills and knowledge informally before you do assessments that count towards your final mark. You can get feedback on all practice and formal assessments so you can improve in the future.
There’s an emphasis on interactive teaching on this course, giving you the chance to take a leading role in your own learning. Teaching methods include:
- workshops and discussion groups
- practical and coaching sessions
- work-based learning (during your placement in year 2)
Course reading material, text books, computer or laptop at home and printer.