HND Business at Stanmore College
This qualification provides transferable skills, knowledge and understanding that can be applied in any business setting. The units are aligned to the specification set by The University of Portsmouth and represent the core attributes required by employers in a range of business settings. Upon completion of the HND programme learners can progress into further study or complete the degree 'top up'.
The purpose of the HND in Business is to develop students as professional, self-reflecting individuals able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualification aims to widen access to higher education and enhance the career prospects of those who aspire to gain a degree.
This qualification is for adults and those aspiring to gain a degree.
For more information on the HND Business click here
A. Knowledge and Understanding of:
- A.1 The external business environment and its impact on organisations
- A.2 The internal functions of business and management
- A.3 The roles and tasks of management including processes of decision making
B. Cognitive (Intellectual or Thinking) Skills, able to:
- B.1 Explain current theories of business and management and their relevance to organisations
- B.2 Identify and solve routine and non-routine business problems
- B.3 Apply numerical skills and techniques
- B.4 Gather and evaluate a range of information from a variety of sources and present that information in a structured argument
C. Practical (Professional or Subject) Skills, able to:
- C.1 Make appropriate use of Information Technology for business and study purposes
- C.2 Manage self and others
- C.3 Plan and schedule work/projects
- C.4 Use a range of presentation forms professionally
D. Transferable (Graduate and Employability) Skills, able to:
- D.1 Communicate confidently and effectively
- D.2 Critique and improve own performance
- D.3 Work with others
- D.4 Demonstrate cultural sensitivity
Proceed to a full degree by doing a 'top up' at the University of Portsmouth or elsewhere
Once you graduate, you'll gain an established and nationally recognised qualification that will equip you for employment in a wide range of business settings.
Here are some potential routes:
- business development and consultancy
- financial and risk analysis
Level 3 BTEC or A Levels
- 60 UCAS points (to include at least 1 A Level at grade D or above) + GCSE English and Mathematics Grade C or above
- BTEC National Certificate or Diploma in Business Studies, Hospitality Supervision, or a similar discipline
Where appropriate, prior learning will be assessed and accredited.
Students whose first language is not English should have a minimum IELTS of 6.0 (or equivalent).
You should possess higher level skills. Although there is no single definition of higher level learning skills, they include:
- Checking and testing information
- Supporting your points with evidence
- Self-directed study
- Thinking for yourself
- Analysing and synthesising information/materials
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Working collaboratively
- Reflecting upon learning and identifying improvements
You will encounter a range of teaching methods, from lectures, workshops and tutorials to team-based projects. We aim to provide a stimulating and friendly learning environment enabling you to practice your skills ready for professional work. As a guide you should contribute 60% of your time studying independently and 40% in timetabled lectures, tutorials and team projects.
Majority of the assessments are through coursework, a minority of assessments are through exams. This ensures a balance in assessment to develop your skills using a variety of assessments. Some of the assessments include:
- individual and group coursework
- online activities
- practical exercises
Course reading material, text books, computer or laptop at home and printer.
- HND Computing
- HND Sports Management and Coaching (subject to validation)
- FdA Early Years Care and Education
- FdA Learning Support
Sijul MiahCurriculum Manager - Business Vocational